• EXEL Limited changes its name to XL Capital Ltd.
• XL Capital Ltd acquires Intercargo Corporation.
• XL Capital Ltd acquires environmental insurance
specialist ECS, Inc.
• XL Capital Ltd merges with NAC Re, a US-based
• A joint venture between XL Capital Ltd and Les Mutuelles
Du Mans Assurances forms Le Mans Re in France.
• XL Capital Ltd sells Mid Ocean's two motor books,
Admiral and Zenith.
• EXEL Limited merges with Mid Ocean Limited.
• The ownership of Lloyd’s operation Brockbank,
which Mid Ocean purchased in 1996, is transferred to
XL Capital Ltd with the Mid Ocean acquisition.
• XL Capital Ltd acquires minority stake in Annuity &
Life Re (Holdings) Ltd.
• XL Capital Ltd forms a joint venture with Financial
• XL acquires Folksamerica General Insurance Company
and renames it X.L. Insurance Company of America, Inc.
• XL raises $3.2 billion through the issuance of ordinary
shares and equity security units. S&P upgrades
XL Insurance (Bermuda) Ltd's rating to AA.
• EXEL Limited acquires GCR Holdings.
• EXEL Limited invests in 75% of Latin America
• Sovereign Risk Insurance Ltd is formed as a (50%-50%)
joint venture between XL Insurance (Bermuda) and ACE Ltd.
• EXEL acquires a minority stake in Pareto Partners.
• XL Capital Ltd invests $70 million in Risk Capital Re.
• XL Re Limited capitalizes at $250 million.
• XL Insurance (Bermuda) Ltd receives A.M. Best
rating of A (Excellent).
• XL Insurance (Bermuda) Ltd receives S&P rating
• Shareholders' equity exceeds $2 billion.
Board of Director Appointments
• Ellen E. Thrower, Professor, School of Risk Management,
Insurance and Actuarial Science at St. John's University’s
Tobin College of Business.
• Brian O'Hara is appointed the group’s third Chief
• XL Capital Ltd invests $73 million in Mid Ocean
• Annual GWP for XL Insurance (Bermuda) Ltd and
XL Europe (Ltd) exceeds $500 million.
• Second public offering of XL stock at a price
• XL invests $100 million in Mid Ocean Reinsurance Ltd,
a property catastrophe reinsurer.
• XL's ordinary shares are listed for the first time on the
New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker
• Initial Public Offering of 24.7 million shares at a listing
price of $25.50.
• Net income reaches $267 million.
• EXEL Limited and XL Insurance (Bermuda) Ltd are
domiciled in Bermuda.
• XL Europe Insurance Company opens in Dublin.