Underwriting Graduate Trainee
We invent the new to help the world move forward. Combining powerful analytics and deeper insights with bigger ideas and innovative solutions, we free up our clients’ potential, thereby fulfilling our own. Take it seriously. Make it fun. Know it matters.
Maximize your opportunity
Working in an Insurance underwriting team at XL Catlin, a leading global insurer and reinsurer, you will be on the front line in helping to provide security and peace of mind to people affected by a wide spectrum of risks. Whether you are looking at construction projects or space satellites, political risk or professional liability, aviation cover or hurricane protection, each risk will require a different approach. Essentially, it is an underwriter’s job to decide whether to insure a risk, on what terms, and for what premium. A number of analytical skills are required to make these decisions, as well as excellent client-facing skills and technical expertise. XL Catlin has a network of over 200 international offices and will provide you with global exposure to risks of varying magnitude and value. XL Catlin will provide you with study leave and the support you need to complete a relevant, professional insurance qualification that will develop and enhance your knowledge of the insurance and reinsurance industry. What will your essential responsibilities as an Underwriting Graduate Trainee include?
- Learn how to analyze and price risks which are presented by brokers, and understand how the underwriter comes to the decision on whether to accept or decline a risk.
- Ask questions of brokers and clients to gain a better understanding of the risk being presented, helping the underwriter to evaluate it accurately.
- Learn how to read and understand insurance policies/reinsurance treaties.
- Work alongside actuaries to develop your technical skills and improve your ability to price risks.
- Supporting the underwriters during the entire underwriting process, by opening contracts and filling in basic information in our pricing tool, creating and maintaining underwriting files in our online filing system and reviewing and administering policy documentation (negotiation slips, contract wordings).
- Supporting Underwriting and Business Services projects as required. You will report to the Underwriting Manager, Healthcare
Unleash your potential
We’re looking for someone who has these abilities and skills:
- To be a successful underwriter it is crucial that you build strong relationships with clients and brokers in order to attract and retain business.
- We are looking for creative problem-solvers and analytical thinkers who can demonstrate adaptability and accuracy, along with sharp numerical and logical skills.
- This challenging and demanding role requires the ability to perform in a pressurized environment, especially during the busy renewal seasons.
- You will also be required to display each of the XL Catlin Commitments in your day-to-day work: make it better, collaborate, be accountable, do what’s right and be future focused.
Academic requirements: Must be a new graduate and have or expect to achieve a GPA of 3.0 or above in your first degree.
- Online application form: the first stage of the process is to register your details and then complete an online application form.
- The second stage is completion of numerical and verbal ability tests.
- An HR Interview is stage three followed by a panel interview for stage four. Further assessment steps may occur. The deadline for submission of your online application form for this role is May 26, 2017.
Discover your future
XL Group Ltd (NYSE:XL), through its subsidiaries and under the XL Catlin brand, is a global insurance and reinsurance company providing property, casualty, professional, specialty and alternative capital products to industrial, commercial and professional firms, insurance companies and other enterprises across the world.
From insurance to reinsurance, we’re shaking up an ancient industry. A changing world needs new answers. We’re here to find them. With an incredible blend of people, products, services and technology, we’re looking beyond traditional solutions to our clients’ risks — from the most familiar to the most complex. Learn more at www.xlcatlin.com.