: USD 10 million Excess professional liability
: USD 25 million
– Worldwide coverage
– Broad coverage definitions: provide flexibility as your practice changes (for example, the definition of "insured" includes predecessor firms and newly acquired firms, and the definition of "professional services" includes the use of building information modeling or other computer-assisted design technology. Refer to policy for specific provisions.)
– Broad definition of "claim": means we do not wait for a formal lawsuit to acknowledge claims against a policy and act on our insured’s behalf
– Contractors pollution legal liability: coverage for pollution conditions claims arising from the performance of contracting services by or on behalf of our insureds
– Network security liability: protects against claims that arise from the transmission of malicious code (viruses) from the insured's computer network to third-party computers, as well as the corruption, deletion or unauthorized use of data on the insured's network
– Split limits option: adds coverage with a small premium increase; per claim "caps" and a larger policy limit guard against a single claim wiping out an insured’s protection
– Cost of defense options: protect deductibles from the erosion of high legal fees through our Dollar One Defense, Shared Cost of Defense and Aggregate Deductible options1
– Early warning program: expert claims service from the moment a client reports a problem, in most cases at no charge to the deductible until a formal claim is made
– Large and small companies
– Architecture, engineering and design consulting firms
For smaller firms: XLsmartADVANTAGE is program for firms that earn up to USD 2 million in fees. Flexible policy terms, proactive pre-claims service and a variety of additional features.
For larger firms: The Design Professionals Risk Control Group is an exclusive risk management group for large architectural and engineering firms. Customized insurance and loss prevention programs. Practice improvement and risk management information, ideas and advice.
Benefits & Services
Our specialized policies help reduce professional liability risks through insurance, proactive loss prevention techniques and expert claims service.
– Education Pays
We offer our clients free, hands-on courses and workshops on best business practices and emerging trends, with diverse topics that include client selection, contract development and project management. Design firms qualify for credits of up to 10% on insurance premiums,1 while participants earn continuing education credits (some also qualify for Health, Safety and Welfare credits2).
– Expert Dispute Resolution
We're committed to helping our clients avoid disputes. When problems do arise, we call on the expertise and guidance our experienced claims consultants, who understand the unique regulations and laws in the areas they serve. They work closely with our clients to resolve disputes, protect their interests and reduce the cost of loss.
– Mediation Works!
Claims resolved through mediation within the first year qualify for a 75% deductible credit (50% if resolved by mediation after one year), up to $25,000.
– Credits for practice improvement
– Insurance education credits: annual premium credit of up to 10% for completing our industry-recognized education programs1
– Limitation of liability credits: 15% premium credit for using limitation of liability clauses in contracts1
– Contractual risk management credits: 75% deductible credit (up to $35,000) for claims resolved within one year or 50% deductible credit (up to $35,000) for claims resolved thereafter, if insured incorporates at least three of our recommended practices
1 Businesses should check with their agents or brokers for details of the program in Canada.
2 Courses are registered with the American Institute of Architects (AIA), and units earned by architects are directly reported to the AIA by XL Group’s design professional unit. Not all states and licensing boards accept these courses for learning units, and some do not recognize the Health, Safety and Welfare qualification.
Information & Research
Report and Loss for USA and Canada
Limits On Product
USD 100,000 to USD 10 million