The Global Day of Giving is a company-wide employee volunteer day dedicated to supporting the communities in which XL Catlin operates.
Since the inception of Global Day of Giving in 2006, XL Catlin colleagues have performed close to 250,000 hours of community service through hundreds of charitable projects in various locations worldwide.
XL’s Chief Executive Officer, Mike McGavick, who will be helping to clean up the training field of a volunteer fire department in West Redding, Connecticut, said: “The Global Day of Giving is a very special event on XL Catlin’s calendar. To us it’s more than simply spending a day volunteering. It’s about investing our time, talent and skills to show our non-profit neighbors, who work tirelessly to improve the communities around us, that we truly appreciate all that they do.”
During this year’s Global Day of Giving, more than 250 projects are scheduled to take place in more than 60 locations around the world to address diverse issues, including education, homelessness, hunger, unemployment and job skills development, senior care and the environment.
For example in:
- Australia: XL Catlin colleagues in Sydney will be sanding picnic tables and painting cabin decks for an outdoor camp serving youth and community groups.
- Hong Kong: Colleagues will create nutritious hot meals prepared from donated items from the local food industry, which they will then serve to underprivileged members of the community.
- Singapore: Colleagues will be refurbishing rental apartments for seniors and organizing a clothes donation drive.
- Spain: A team in Madrid will work with a group of socio-economically disadvantaged women on creating resumés and managing job applications.
- UK: The London office will hold a business challenge with a group of teenage students who will be required to create an insurance product then pitch it to a panel of judges.
- Poland: A team from the Wroclaw office will be making furniture, largely using upcycled materials, with homeless members of the community.
- US: Colleagues in New York will be building bee hives for a community rooftop farm which offers environmental and food education programs to children.
- Bermuda: Two of the projects are associated with the island’s hosting of the 35th America’s Cup of which XL Catlin is the official insurance partner. One project involves cleaning up the island in preparation for the big event and the other entails repainting sailboats used in the America’s Cup Endeavour Program which introduces youngsters from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds across Bermuda to the sport of sailing in a uniquely designed, fun and interactive educational training.
About XL Catlin
XL Catlin is the global brand used by XL Group Ltd’s (NYSE:XL) insurance and reinsurance companies which provide property, casualty, professional and specialty products to industrial, commercial and professional firms, insurance companies and other enterprises throughout the world. Clients look to XL Catlin for answers to their most complex risks and to help move their world forward. To learn more, visit xlcatlin.com.